A Year Through God's Eyes
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Jive Talkin' (Psalm 12)
When I first read through Psalm 12, I gained some interesting insights about people who talk for a living in our society today, but I also found myself looking at verse 6: "And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times." And I would like to tackle this verse first. It got me wondering about how you refine silver. So as I do when I have questions about anything I turned to the most reliable source I could find at my fingertips: Youtube.
I came across this video, and thought I would share it with you guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWTdInE4tI (if it doesn't pull up, just go to YouTube and type in: The Silversmith). I have no idea if what is described in the video is accurate or not, but it does make its point well with regards to the character of God.
Now, as far as the main thrust of this psalm, I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that I'm reading this on the night of the State of the Union adress by our President. Over the past few days I have watched a few interviews given by President Obama or by his staff, and I have noticed an interesting turn of phrase that they all use: "in this town." Now, when they use it, they are referring to Washington, DC. Also when they use it, it is in a context where you can see they weren't really expecting things to be as they actually turned out to be once they arrived in office.
With that in mind, and the thought that DC seems to exist for the people who make a living off of their words more than anything else, I found it interesting what David says during the psalm. He gives words to the proud (someone you don't want to be in the psalms, trust me!) and says they basically dare God to smite them in verse 4. Also knowing where we are with our economy at the moment, I felt that verse 5 might be coming down the pike, which aslo doesn't bode well for the proud and boastful: "Because of the opression of the weak and the groaning of the weary, I will now arise, says the Lord. I will protect them from those who malign them." For months I've heard that help is on the way for those who are without jobs, for those who are struggling to make ends meet, who are trying to figure out how they are going to care for their families, and it makes me wonder if it's taking so long because God is getting ready to Arise as soon as His people call out His name. We must never forget that our first step in the return to God is to admit we can't do it ourselves and cry out for His Almighty help!
It also reminds me to strive to be a man who says what he means and mean what I say. To be a man who will proclaim God every chance I get because of all the amazing things He's done for me and for all of us.
PRAYER:
*Franco
I came across this video, and thought I would share it with you guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWTdInE4tI (if it doesn't pull up, just go to YouTube and type in: The Silversmith). I have no idea if what is described in the video is accurate or not, but it does make its point well with regards to the character of God.
Now, as far as the main thrust of this psalm, I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that I'm reading this on the night of the State of the Union adress by our President. Over the past few days I have watched a few interviews given by President Obama or by his staff, and I have noticed an interesting turn of phrase that they all use: "in this town." Now, when they use it, they are referring to Washington, DC. Also when they use it, it is in a context where you can see they weren't really expecting things to be as they actually turned out to be once they arrived in office.
With that in mind, and the thought that DC seems to exist for the people who make a living off of their words more than anything else, I found it interesting what David says during the psalm. He gives words to the proud (someone you don't want to be in the psalms, trust me!) and says they basically dare God to smite them in verse 4. Also knowing where we are with our economy at the moment, I felt that verse 5 might be coming down the pike, which aslo doesn't bode well for the proud and boastful: "Because of the opression of the weak and the groaning of the weary, I will now arise, says the Lord. I will protect them from those who malign them." For months I've heard that help is on the way for those who are without jobs, for those who are struggling to make ends meet, who are trying to figure out how they are going to care for their families, and it makes me wonder if it's taking so long because God is getting ready to Arise as soon as His people call out His name. We must never forget that our first step in the return to God is to admit we can't do it ourselves and cry out for His Almighty help!
It also reminds me to strive to be a man who says what he means and mean what I say. To be a man who will proclaim God every chance I get because of all the amazing things He's done for me and for all of us.
PRAYER:
*Franco
posted by Nathan at 6:08 PM

2 Comments:
The silver thing is true, it burns black at first, then red then finally silver. And when you see your reflection it means the impurities are gone. As I read your musings, which I think are dead on, it also made me wonder if it made you think about Sunday School and Judges. Are we under oppression because we've turned from God and He's waiting for us cry out to Him?
I don't know that we're there yet, but I can definitely feel it coming. What I would love is if we as a nation cried out to God before we had to go under oppression.
Post a Comment
<< Home