A Year Through God's Eyes
Friday, January 15, 2010
Psalm 6
I've never been in a place where I was in physical pain because I had cried so much. Reading through Psalm 6, I feel awful for what David is experiencing. The tone of verses 6 through the first part of 8 are drastically different from anything he has written up to this point. I'm reading in a commentary where the author says it could possibly be from his son's takeover of his kingdom, but I don't think as bad as that was that it would ellicit this kind of response from David. I think this was probably written when David lost his son due to his sin with Bathesheba. The soul-wrenching feeling of having enemies circling, knowing that your actions have hurt everyone around you, and God doesn't answer you at all has got to be crushing to David.
The hope of the entire psalm comes in the second half of verse 8, when God shows how gracious he is. David still has to deal with the consequences of his actions, but God has returned to him (or has he returned to God?) and if nothing else has given David a strong sense that his prayers have been heard and that the wicked will not overcome him.
I can take great joy in knowing that no matter how difficult the situation is; no matter how sick to my soul I become, that God does hear my cries and is always faithful and true.
PRAYERS:
**Stick to it. I need continual prayer to persevere and to really commit and hold myself accountable to doing this blog on a nearly daily basis to get a true picture of what God is doing in my life.
**Money, Money, Money. Pray for Compass Church in Athens, GA. They are in the middle of a serious budget crunch, and I think that God is asking me to do something, just ask for clarity for the situation with me in mind.
**My better half. Continued prayer that I would seek out opportunities to serve my wife, and do those with a joyful heart.
**Same old, same old. For the sake of saving my fingers, everything down below still holds.
The hope of the entire psalm comes in the second half of verse 8, when God shows how gracious he is. David still has to deal with the consequences of his actions, but God has returned to him (or has he returned to God?) and if nothing else has given David a strong sense that his prayers have been heard and that the wicked will not overcome him.
I can take great joy in knowing that no matter how difficult the situation is; no matter how sick to my soul I become, that God does hear my cries and is always faithful and true.
PRAYERS:
**Stick to it. I need continual prayer to persevere and to really commit and hold myself accountable to doing this blog on a nearly daily basis to get a true picture of what God is doing in my life.
**Money, Money, Money. Pray for Compass Church in Athens, GA. They are in the middle of a serious budget crunch, and I think that God is asking me to do something, just ask for clarity for the situation with me in mind.
**My better half. Continued prayer that I would seek out opportunities to serve my wife, and do those with a joyful heart.
**Same old, same old. For the sake of saving my fingers, everything down below still holds.
posted by Nathan at 3:51 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home