A Year Through God's Eyes

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Turn of Phrase

I love it when I catch insights that don't seem to be caught by other people. I guess that's the prideful nature inside of me, but sometimes I just think it's fun. Case in point: we've been studying the book of Jonah during Sunday morning services this month, and the last verse in Ch. 2 always catches my attention. The overwhelming (overwhaleming?) theme of the book is obedience. The lack of it from Jonah, and the abundance of it from anyone he comes into contact with. The crew aboard the ship Jonah is aboard become obedient to God once the storm stops, the people in Ninevah become obedient once they learn of their sinful ways, but the character we remember the book of Jonah for is also obedient. The final verse of the 2nd chapter reads as follows: "Then the Lord ordered the fish to spit Jonah out onto the beach." I just find it interesting that even the animals in this short story in the Old Testament are obedient when one of God's chosen servants chooses not to be. Maybe I'm reading too much into the verse, but that's my two cents worth.
PRAYERS:
***Just found out tonight that my grandfather (who has Alzheimer's) has somewhere between several weeks and several months left to live. I don't think this affects me a lot because I've already said goodbye to him. He's hardly recognizable to me anymore when I see him, and he certainly doesn't recognize me. We've also been anticipating his passing for years now. That being said, he was truly a man after God's own heart, and it will hurt those left behind when he finally leaves this world because he is one of the people in my life that I try to model myself after because of his unwavering obedience and reliance on God.
***Leadership skills when leading at church.
posted by Nathan at 11:26 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home