A Year Through God's Eyes
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Accountability and Excited-ness
So I was reminded this week that I had gone an entire week (2 if you count VBS week, but really, I think I was doing well just to make sure I was functioning at the end and didn't end up leaving Brenna at the church or something) without posting anything here. It's so easy for me to drift off and not even realize it! It really brings up two verses that I try and keep close at hand: Hebrews 2:1 (We must pay more careful attention...), and Romans 7:21-23 (I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me). The first because if I'm not careful, I end up going the way my fleshly self wants to go, not so much towards blatant sin, as it does towards passive sin where I just set myself into cruise control and don't ponder, challenge, and work to grow in Christ. The second verse reminds me that I really hate it when I get that way and it's only through the Holy Spirit (and good accountability, someone to call me on my junk even when I don't want to admit it) that I am reminded that I don't have to listen to the flesh part of myself because it's dead thanks to Christ Jesus!
The second part of this post is that I'm pretty darn excited! My former student whom I've been investing in since he was a senior over two years ago asked me as I was checking out tonight from getting groceries what time church starts in the morning. I really think he's going to be there, and that just has me super pumped! It's also a testament to how good God really is, because if I'm being truly honest, I didn't do a whole lot to get him thinking about coming to church with me short of asking him a few times, but on his own he comes to me. This tells me that God is definitely working in this relationship and I've got to really pay attention and be purposeful with him in order to see where God wants to take us.
Prayers:
1) That I would continually get out of my comfort zone and seek after Jesus' work in my life.
2) That I would not be content when I get slothful
3) That my wife and I would have unity in our marriage, as parents, in seeking how to grow our family
4) That God would put something impossible in my life
5) What additional preparatory steps do I need to take towards the music ministry calling God has placed in my life?
6) Our church: pastor, Africa, renovation, church-plant, lost to be found, unity, youth minister (and search committee), youth camp, that I would draw closer to fringe people in our church (aware of them and seek them out)
7) That I would be the spiritual leader in our home
8) The men of our church: specifically Will, Caleb, and Kevin
9) Sister churches: Compass, Mars Hill (Seattle), Village, Dynamic, Apostles
10) Specific person on the trip: Margaret
The second part of this post is that I'm pretty darn excited! My former student whom I've been investing in since he was a senior over two years ago asked me as I was checking out tonight from getting groceries what time church starts in the morning. I really think he's going to be there, and that just has me super pumped! It's also a testament to how good God really is, because if I'm being truly honest, I didn't do a whole lot to get him thinking about coming to church with me short of asking him a few times, but on his own he comes to me. This tells me that God is definitely working in this relationship and I've got to really pay attention and be purposeful with him in order to see where God wants to take us.
Prayers:
1) That I would continually get out of my comfort zone and seek after Jesus' work in my life.
2) That I would not be content when I get slothful
3) That my wife and I would have unity in our marriage, as parents, in seeking how to grow our family
4) That God would put something impossible in my life
5) What additional preparatory steps do I need to take towards the music ministry calling God has placed in my life?
6) Our church: pastor, Africa, renovation, church-plant, lost to be found, unity, youth minister (and search committee), youth camp, that I would draw closer to fringe people in our church (aware of them and seek them out)
7) That I would be the spiritual leader in our home
8) The men of our church: specifically Will, Caleb, and Kevin
9) Sister churches: Compass, Mars Hill (Seattle), Village, Dynamic, Apostles
10) Specific person on the trip: Margaret
posted by Nathan at 11:55 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home