A Year Through God's Eyes
Sunday, June 26, 2011
No Greater Power?
And I tell you, you are Peter, and jon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. -Matthew 16:18
Kayla and I sat down to watch a movie tonight, and while she was finishing up an order online, I sat and watched the previews before the film. As I sat there, a preview for the film 127 Hours came on, which is the story of a man who goes spelunking and pulls a boulder down on top of his hand. In case you don't know the story, he ends up getting himself unpinned by severing his own arm off. Sorry to be graphic, but that's what happens. Anyway, at the end of the the preview, the tage line comes up and says: There is no greater force on Earth than the will to live.
Huh?
Now, I know we've all got survival instincts, but that just rubbed me the wrong way and immediately knew what I wanted to write about, but I wasn't sure what Scripture reference would prove that incorrect definitively. Thankfully, God is bigger than me, and knows my heart so He gave me a verse. Of course, it's the one at the beginning of the post. The truth is, there is a greater force on Earth, and His name is Jesus. He has the power over all things on Heaven and ON EARTH, and his Kingdom shall not be conquered even by the plans of Earth's greatest enemy Satan. What tremendous news that is!
I think it's easy sometimes to forget how magnanimously gigantic our God is. How incredibly powerful He is. How gracious and loving He is. What a warrior He is. This puts it into perspective for me. Prayers:
1) That I would be the spiritual leader in my home. That means praying FOR and WITH my wife and daughter.
2) That worship would occur tomorrow. We get to baptize 3 people!!! Allow Jesus to be the focus.
3) That the issues we have in our church would be prayed over and dealt with in a manner pleasing to Christ. Youth minister, renovation, VBS, church plant, church staff, youth camp, unity in the church.
4) Unity between Kayla and I on how to grow our family. Whether we should host a foreign exchange student, and who that might be.
5) The men of the church. Specifically Will, Kevin, and Caleb
6) What is impossible in my life right now without God?
7) Africa. That my calling would be well-defined for me. (Today's person: Pat)
8) That my heart would be changed where all I sought after was Christ and the praise of His great name.
9) The pains of our sister churches: The Village, Compass, Dynamic Church.
Kayla and I sat down to watch a movie tonight, and while she was finishing up an order online, I sat and watched the previews before the film. As I sat there, a preview for the film 127 Hours came on, which is the story of a man who goes spelunking and pulls a boulder down on top of his hand. In case you don't know the story, he ends up getting himself unpinned by severing his own arm off. Sorry to be graphic, but that's what happens. Anyway, at the end of the the preview, the tage line comes up and says: There is no greater force on Earth than the will to live.
Huh?
Now, I know we've all got survival instincts, but that just rubbed me the wrong way and immediately knew what I wanted to write about, but I wasn't sure what Scripture reference would prove that incorrect definitively. Thankfully, God is bigger than me, and knows my heart so He gave me a verse. Of course, it's the one at the beginning of the post. The truth is, there is a greater force on Earth, and His name is Jesus. He has the power over all things on Heaven and ON EARTH, and his Kingdom shall not be conquered even by the plans of Earth's greatest enemy Satan. What tremendous news that is!
I think it's easy sometimes to forget how magnanimously gigantic our God is. How incredibly powerful He is. How gracious and loving He is. What a warrior He is. This puts it into perspective for me. Prayers:
1) That I would be the spiritual leader in my home. That means praying FOR and WITH my wife and daughter.
2) That worship would occur tomorrow. We get to baptize 3 people!!! Allow Jesus to be the focus.
3) That the issues we have in our church would be prayed over and dealt with in a manner pleasing to Christ. Youth minister, renovation, VBS, church plant, church staff, youth camp, unity in the church.
4) Unity between Kayla and I on how to grow our family. Whether we should host a foreign exchange student, and who that might be.
5) The men of the church. Specifically Will, Kevin, and Caleb
6) What is impossible in my life right now without God?
7) Africa. That my calling would be well-defined for me. (Today's person: Pat)
8) That my heart would be changed where all I sought after was Christ and the praise of His great name.
9) The pains of our sister churches: The Village, Compass, Dynamic Church.
posted by Nathan at 12:21 AM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home