A Year Through God's Eyes
Monday, June 20, 2011
Roller Coaster
That's what today has gone like. Started with Brenna and I doing our daily library book readings followed by what I thought would be a quick run to the library in order to get back and have things ready to feed Brenna, her cousins, and Mimi in order for them to make a quick escape for Cousins Camp.
As it was, I misjudged time and screwed up what was supposed to be a really quick trip became an almost two hour stop. Beginning with the crew from SA getting here earlier than I expected, trying to finish getting Brenna packed, fixing and feeding lunch, and getting their vehicle loaded for the trip to Houston. Once everyone was on their way to the vehicle for the wondrous start to Cousins Camp, we discovered that the seating arrangements would not be safe or comfortable, so we had to switch into our van for the trip. This entailed a lot of stress, a good sized amount of anger levelled towards me, and general frustration at the situation we all found ourselves in.
From there, Kayla and I had to leave for our couseling appointment and I really felt like the anxiety from earlier bled into our trip to Victoria for the appointment. Normally, Kayla and I really enjoy our drives wherever we go, but today it felt like there was a wall between us. Thankfully, once we were at the counseling appointment, we had some good discussion, and the way home felt much better than the way there.
Once we got home, it was a little hectic with Kayla having her accountability group and me doing a few chores around the house. You can probably see the roller coaster as easily as I can. Fortunately, I can say that I finished the day on a high note. It just so happened that the passage I'm working through in 1 Corinthians was one on our relationship with God and our relationship in marriage. Two issues that if you read yesterday are areas I'm seeking God's will in.
Just a few verses that spoke to me include: But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with Him. This really made me remember that the more that I pursue God and delve deep into my relationship with Him, the more faithfulness He reveals to me that joins us up into one spirit. Also, And such were some of you. But you were washed...sanctified...justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. This for me is just a reminder that Christ didn't die for a future version of me, or has to die again when I stumble and screw up. He died and it is finished, any past sin I have done IS FINISHED, any sin I have done today IS FINISHED, any sin I will do in the future IS FINISHED!!! What tremendous news that I constanly need to remind myself of. As one of my friends is fond of saying, that's a warm blanket for my soul.
Here's where I'm praying:
1) That I would be the spiritual leader in my home that Christ charges me to be. This means praying WITH and FOR my family.
2) That I would have clear direction with regards to what steps Kayla and I need to take with regards to adoption, foster care, or increasing our family in any other way.
3) I would saturate my life with Jesus Christ. Particular focus on a week's worth of worship so that I'm "paid up" when it comes to leading worship on Sundays.
4) Africa: That God's will would be done, that I would be prepared in my prayer life, that the ones I'm going with will also be spiritually prepared, that I would remember to pray for each individual from now until we go.
5) Our church: From renovations, to personnel, to praying for our church to impact the community we're a part of; I need to pray more for our church and the people therein.
6) Worship degree. Where do I go next? Where is God driving me with regards to this calling in my life?
7) What is in my life right now that is impossible without God?
8) How do I become a better student of my wife? How do I show affection to my wife in a way she understands?
9) I need to have a stronger dependence on the ways of God and sever the things that tether me to this world (time suckers-books, tv, games, technology, etc.)
10) A changed heart that sees the world the way God does and is so moved by it that I can no longer stay in my comfort, but have to move to where He is.
Thanks for the prayers! Also, pray that I remain faithful to blogging and keeping my prayer requests fresh in my head.
As it was, I misjudged time and screwed up what was supposed to be a really quick trip became an almost two hour stop. Beginning with the crew from SA getting here earlier than I expected, trying to finish getting Brenna packed, fixing and feeding lunch, and getting their vehicle loaded for the trip to Houston. Once everyone was on their way to the vehicle for the wondrous start to Cousins Camp, we discovered that the seating arrangements would not be safe or comfortable, so we had to switch into our van for the trip. This entailed a lot of stress, a good sized amount of anger levelled towards me, and general frustration at the situation we all found ourselves in.
From there, Kayla and I had to leave for our couseling appointment and I really felt like the anxiety from earlier bled into our trip to Victoria for the appointment. Normally, Kayla and I really enjoy our drives wherever we go, but today it felt like there was a wall between us. Thankfully, once we were at the counseling appointment, we had some good discussion, and the way home felt much better than the way there.
Once we got home, it was a little hectic with Kayla having her accountability group and me doing a few chores around the house. You can probably see the roller coaster as easily as I can. Fortunately, I can say that I finished the day on a high note. It just so happened that the passage I'm working through in 1 Corinthians was one on our relationship with God and our relationship in marriage. Two issues that if you read yesterday are areas I'm seeking God's will in.
Just a few verses that spoke to me include: But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with Him. This really made me remember that the more that I pursue God and delve deep into my relationship with Him, the more faithfulness He reveals to me that joins us up into one spirit. Also, And such were some of you. But you were washed...sanctified...justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. This for me is just a reminder that Christ didn't die for a future version of me, or has to die again when I stumble and screw up. He died and it is finished, any past sin I have done IS FINISHED, any sin I have done today IS FINISHED, any sin I will do in the future IS FINISHED!!! What tremendous news that I constanly need to remind myself of. As one of my friends is fond of saying, that's a warm blanket for my soul.
Here's where I'm praying:
1) That I would be the spiritual leader in my home that Christ charges me to be. This means praying WITH and FOR my family.
2) That I would have clear direction with regards to what steps Kayla and I need to take with regards to adoption, foster care, or increasing our family in any other way.
3) I would saturate my life with Jesus Christ. Particular focus on a week's worth of worship so that I'm "paid up" when it comes to leading worship on Sundays.
4) Africa: That God's will would be done, that I would be prepared in my prayer life, that the ones I'm going with will also be spiritually prepared, that I would remember to pray for each individual from now until we go.
5) Our church: From renovations, to personnel, to praying for our church to impact the community we're a part of; I need to pray more for our church and the people therein.
6) Worship degree. Where do I go next? Where is God driving me with regards to this calling in my life?
7) What is in my life right now that is impossible without God?
8) How do I become a better student of my wife? How do I show affection to my wife in a way she understands?
9) I need to have a stronger dependence on the ways of God and sever the things that tether me to this world (time suckers-books, tv, games, technology, etc.)
10) A changed heart that sees the world the way God does and is so moved by it that I can no longer stay in my comfort, but have to move to where He is.
Thanks for the prayers! Also, pray that I remain faithful to blogging and keeping my prayer requests fresh in my head.
posted by Nathan at 9:13 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home