A Year Through God's Eyes

Friday, April 2, 2010

I Bet You Didn't Notice It Either!

"No!" Peter insisted. "Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!" And all the other disciples vowed the same.-Matthew 26:35

If you've spent any time whatsoever in either a Good Friday or an Easter church service, chances are you have heard several different sermons preached on Peter's shortcomings in the final hours of Jesus' time of ministry. We all know that Peter makes this vow here right before Jesus corrects him and lets him know what's coming for him in a few short hours. The part that we miss is the part that I have for so many years, and that is when Peter takes his strong stance, all the other disciples make the same proclamation. It is pretty easy to see why Peter would be singled out by Jesus. This is by no means a single case where Peter oversteps his bounds with zeal, and remember that in John's Gospel, Jesus says He's praying that Peter will be strong when the time comes. We also know that Peter is the one chosen with the task of growing the church among the Jews. Like I said, not difficult to see that why Peter is singled out here. However, we can't overlook that all the rest of Jesus' inner circle make the same declaration that they would follow Jesus to His death. Just a simple observation, but again before we go pounding on anyone in the Bible for their flaws, let's not forget to do two things: 1) put ourselves in the story. This will help us understand that we're not really all that different from the people who experienced it first hand, and 2) don't forget to read closely and pay attention. In this way, you will always receive fresh insights, even in a story you've read since you were 7 years old, like me!
With that being said, I have posted 3 posts tonight, in case you didn't notice, so please read all three and maybe they'll make up for my lack of blogging in recent weeks.

PRAYER REQUESTS:
-My co-worker. She is in the difficult position of finishing out the year while looking for another band job or deciding to take the teaching job they have offered her. Pray also that I will be a shining light to point her to Jesus in the remaining time we have together. Also pray that the students who love her will be able to manage having another teacher next year.
-That the next band director is a Christian, one who will be a better fit for me to work with day in and day out and that together we will grow the program.
-We are T-minus two weeks away from our closing date on the house. Pray that the final steps will go smoothly and we will be able to complete the sale on time and for a safe move.
-Pray that we will unload all our junk in our garage sale next week.
-Band Concert in the Park May 16th. Pray that all the preparations go well.
-Students have TAKS testing all this month.
-I'm working really hard at being more of a helper for Kayla and much less selfish with my time at home. Working hard on being a great husband and Dad.
-Thank you Jesus for what you did today (Good Friday) and for what is coming on Sunday (Easter!!!) I don't ever want to get to a place where I lose the impact of the story of Easter.
posted by Nathan at 10:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home