A Year Through God's Eyes

Friday, April 2, 2010

God of War (Psalm 18)

There is a cutscene in the video game by the same name as the title of this post where the Greek god of war (note the little "g") comes out of the sky to save the main character. When I was playing through the game and saw this scene I had to think that someone had read Psalm 18 and tried to put into action what they had read. Here's the difference: what David puts down in the psalm will actually happen one day and it will be even grander and inspire far more fear and awe than a video ever could. I say that because I truly believe this is as prophetic a psalm as the one that comes in a few more chapters (22). For now, let's break down this passage section by section:
There is a definite flow to the verses here, which is interesting seeing as how it was written as a response to Saul's constant pursuit of David. In verses 1-3, we are reminded of who God is: my rock, fortress, savior, shield, power, place of safety. In 4-6 David gives slight background to the situation he finds himself currently in and what David's response to it is. I read these verses and wonder how many times when I find myself in impossible situations do I cry out to God first. Definitely more than when times are good, but still not what I would call a good percentage of the time. In v. 7-15, God shows up and gives meaning to "the fear of God." This is definitely not the Jesus that is portrayed in most every instance in today's society. Even the paintings we have of Jesus riding on a chariot, largely show a white guy with product in his perfectly groomed hair and still kindness in his eyes. There is a vastly different picture from the one portrayed in these verses. This is the God who when if you were allowed to see Him coming, you would first soil yourself and then dig yourself a hole to hide in. In verses 16 through the first part of 20, we have God's response to David's situation, which is basically plucking David up and placing him in His perfect safety. However, I've got to think that even if God didn't take this course of action, David would be praising His name because we can't even fathom His understandings. In the second part of 20 through 24, David pleads his innocence. Some would think this is an odd move because Jesus has already rescued him from immediate danger, but I've go to think that David by this point is really getting tired of being chased like this and is again pleading with God to spare him from all the chasing by explaining his innocence. I can go another way with this portion and point to this as one of the prophetic sections of this psalm, because the level of innocence that David is describing hardly seems humanly possible. In verses 25-29, we are reminded of how God interacts with people in the world. It also shows how God can be both just and merciful at the same time. In verses 30-36, David remembers more attributes of God, most notably that God is perfect and we find our victory in trusting Him. After David pleading his case before God, and David remembering all the attributes of God's character, we see God's physical response in verses 37-45 where the attackers are routed (v. 43b-44), and we close with a praise song to God in verses 46-50. When I read 46, I am reminded of the moderately old praise song that is pulled directly from this verse. One of the first songs I can remember in church using syncopation. Good times, good times.
I think as I look back at this psalm on the whole, I am again reminded of how I really need to fear the God who made absolutely everything that has ever been created, and stop thumbing my nose at Him because of His merciful patience with me.
posted by Nathan at 7:18 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home